Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Anatomy of a Workout

I kind of specialize in beginners (and people who've been previously led astray).  The following is what I describe in response to "so, what am I supposed to do when I come here?"

You can get real fancy with this, add branches and subdivision as you better grasp the concept and progress your fitness level, but the basics are always super-keen.

Upper Body Push
Upper Body Pull
Lower Body
"Cardio" Challenge

Go.

Bodyweight-Only Example:

Push-Ups
Rear Foot Elevated Lunge
Inverted Rows on the Smith Machine
1/4-Mile Run for time

Equipment-Based Example:

Barbell Overhead Press
Barbell Deadlift
Chest Supported Row
Concept II Rower 2,000m for time

So, those sessions there might be described as "total body" workouts but depending on how you feel and what, particularly, you're training for you might just take an upper body press or lower body day and run with it.  This is very commonly seen in my training notebook as my training needs (strongman competitions) are quite specialized so I might maximize my efforts on my overhead press one day and pulling strength, the next.

Pick your movements and make progress.

Pick things up, put them down.  Eat good food.  Go do stuff.


- PMH

No comments:

Post a Comment